Drain clogs are a common household annoyance that plagues most Mississauga homeowners. However, while most people try to attempt clogged drain repair on their own, the fact is that some methods may be doing more harm than good. At Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services, we have over 20 years of experience in professional drain cleaning. Our methods are entirely safe for your plumbing and the environment, and they leave your drains in like-new condition. Call us to schedule an appointment.
If your water bill continues to rise for no discernible reason, it could be an unseen water leak. Our expert water leak detection will quickly pinpoint the problem saving you time and money.
Why You Need Professional Clogged Drain Repair
When people experience slow or clogged drains, they naturally try to fix them with chemical drain cleaning products or the handy plunger. The fact is, however, that many chemical drain cleaning products are highly toxic and can cause irreparable damage to your plumbing. Plungers work sometimes, but often if the clog is deep in the system, they’re ineffective. Here are a few reasons to forego the home remedies and rely on a pro to clean your drains.
- Safety: As mentioned, store-bought drain cleaning products use corrosive chemicals to remove obstructions. However, these chemicals have been shown to damage some plumbing material types, which can lead to burst pipes and eventual water damage. A professional drain cleaning company uses methods like rooting and hydro jetting, both of which are chemical-free and safe for all plumbing types.
- Minimize Blockages: By having your drains cleaned regularly by a pro, you prevent clogs from forming. Even small clogs have the potential to grow and create massive plumbing problems if left unchecked.
- Odour Elimination: Do you ever notice foul odours coming from a particular drain? When organic material gets stuck in pipes, it decays and releases horrible smells that air fresheners only mask. Professional drain cleaning removes all of the gunk and buildup in your pipes and eliminates the foul odours, making your home smell fresher.
- Keeps Home Cleaner: Many people don’t think about their drains until there’s a problem, but did you know that many drains are breeding grounds for harmful bacteria that can make you and your family sick. Even a tiny amount of waste material present in your drains can have harmful effects. Also consider the possibility of sewage backing up into the home because of clogged drains. Sewage backup poses a health risk to everyone in the house, even pets.
- Reduces Costs: Most people think they’re saving money by using chemicals or other home remedies to fix their drains, but severe clogs never go away on their own and return in time. If you have clogs that persist, you could be looking at an expensive repair bill down the road if a pipe bursts or you have water damage. By scheduling regular drain cleaning, you ensure your pipes remain clog-free and reduce the chances of something catastrophic happening.
By using a little prevention, you can ensure that your plumbing provides years of hassle-free service. Call Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services for an appointment.
Signs You Need Clogged Drain Repair
If you’re like most Mississauga homeowners, you never give your drains a second thought until something goes wrong such as an overflowing toilet or drain clog. To avoid an expensive repair later, get to know these warning signs of impending drain trouble now so you can fix it before disaster strikes.
- Slow Drains: There are many reasons why drains empty slower than they should; sometimes it’s hair or grease that’s creating the clog while other times it’s a tree root intrusion. Slow drains won’t get better on their own and can lead to significant plumbing problems down the road, which is why calling a pro is the best solution.
- Strange Odours: As mentioned above, the foul odours you’re smelling in your home could be coming from the drains. The odour may be sewer gas or decaying organic waste, and it’s best to deal with both via a professional drain cleaning.
- Gurgling: Do you hear gurgling noises coming from the toilet or other plumbing fixtures? Gurgling often means that there’s air in the system, or it could be a leak.
When you have a clogged drain, you’re better off calling a pro for help than trying to fix it yourself. Our drain cleaning services are safe and effective for all types of plumbing and we leave your drains in like-new condition.
You can protect your family from sewer water entering the home with a backwater valve installation.
Common Causes of Household Drain Clogs
Clogged drains run the gamut of being a mild annoyance to an expensive headache. Knowing the common causes of drain clogs can help you take precautions to ensure they remain clean
- Tree Roots: The most likely suspect when clogs develop in water and sewer main lines are tree roots. Tree roots naturally seek out water sources, which means if you have even a small leak in a water main, the root will find a way in and eventually you’ll have a tangled mess on your hands. You can prevent this by removing trees and other vegetation that are near a water main line.
- “Flushable” Wipes: In the bathroom, personal wipes are becoming the number one reason for toilet and drain clogs. Most wipes that advertise that they disintegrate when they’re flushed do no such thing. In fact, the only thing that makes them flushable is their ability to fit in the pipe. For best results and to protect your plumbing, put personal wipes in the trash and only flush toilet paper down the toilet.
- Feminine Hygiene Products: Like personal wipes, feminine hygiene products should go into the trash instead of the toilet.
- Fat, Oil, & Grease: In the kitchen, cooking grease, butter, fat, and oil are the most common causes of clogs. Pouring these substances down the drain causes them to build up over time like plaque in an artery, eventually leading to a drain that’s fully clogged. To avoid this, put these substances into a container and throw it into the trash or put them in an outside compost heap.
- Hair: Another common cause of clogs in the bathroom is hair. The best way to prevent hair from mucking up your drains is to use mesh strainers to catch it before it goes down.