If you live in an area that receives heavy rainfall, a sump pump can protect your basement from flooding leading to water damage and expensive repairs. Once moisture gets into the house, you run the risk of warped walls and flooring and the buildup of mould and mildew.
When it comes to sump pump maintenance and installation, Mississauga residents trust Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services to do the job right at an affordable price. And, you may qualify for a generous subsidy of up to $3,400 when you install a sump pump in the greater Toronto area. For more information, contact us today.
A garbage disposal installation can make your life in the kitchen more convenient. Contact us today to find out more.
Top 4 Reasons You Need a Sump Pump
The sump pump is a device that people install in their basements for pumping out excess water to protect the home against flooding. Maybe you don’t think you need a sump pump, but consider these four reasons for getting one.
- Keeps Basements & Crawlspaces Dry: If the basement begins filling up with water, the sump pump kicks into action to direct it outside and away from the house.
- Prevents Mould & Mildew: By keeping the space under the house dry, you’re less likely to have mould and mildew buildup, which can trigger people with allergies and breathing problems.
- To Warn About High Water Levels: Many sump pumps alert the homeowner that the basement or crawlspace is in danger of flooding even if the sump pump isn’t working. With today’s smart devices, you can receive an alert on your phone telling you to call an emergency plumber to fix the problem and avoid water damage.
- Adds Value: A working sump pump makes a home more attractive to a potential buyer because they trust that the basement has been kept dry and is structurally sound.
- Check the sump pump is upright and the float activator moves freely. Sometimes, vibrations can cause the sump pump to tilt, which can impede its operation.
- Pour water into the basin to make sure the pump activates. Once activated, make sure that the pump is discharging the water out of the basement.
- Ensure that the GFCI electrical connection is working and that there is power going to the sump pump.
- Call a professional plumber once a year to inspect your sump pump and make any necessary repairs.
If you’re looking to have a sump pump installed, or your old pump needs replacing, contact the experts at Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services.
Frequently Asked Sump Pump Questions
Sump pumps are the first line of defence in protecting your home against water damage and flooding. Here are the most commonly asked questions people have regarding sump pump installation and service.
What is a Sump Pump?
Sump pumps remove water from the basement and channel it outside the house to prevent flooding and moisture buildup.
How Do They Work?
Plumbers usually install sump pumps into a basin in the lowest point on the floor. As water flows into the basin, it triggers the pump, which directs it out to a well or storm drain so it can’t damage your home. Pumps are powered by electricity, and many have battery backup systems in case of power failure.
How Can I Maintain My Sump Pump?
To keep your sump pump in tip-top shape and to ensure it’s ready for action if water floods in, take note of these maintenance tips.
If you’re sick of all of the problems caused by hard water in your home, contact us and find out how installing a water softener can help.
Call to Schedule Sump Pump Installation in Mississauga
The expert sump pump installers at Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services have over 20 years of experience installing, maintaining and repairing sump pumps. Besides our sump pump service, we offer a comprehensive list of residential plumbing services such as drain cleaning and drain repair to trenchless pipe repair and more. Whatever plumbing problem you’re having, you can count on us to fix it right.