Water leaks aren’t always easy to spot, and the longer they go unnoticed, the more damage they can cause. If left unchecked, a water leak can damage your landscaping, your foundation, and your home’s interior. At Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services, we use the latest tools and techniques to quickly pinpoint water leaks. If you think you have a water leak, contact us today for an appointment.
For those stubborn clogs, let our hydro jetting blast them away.
Common Dangers of Unseen Water Leaks
Most water leaks are more of an inconvenience than a danger; however, sometimes, they have the potential to cause thousands of dollars in damage to your home if they go unfixed for long. Here are the most common things that can go wrong if you have a water leak you can’t find.
- Structural Damage: Porous surfaces like walls, hardwood floors, drywall, carpet, and concrete suffer damage when exposed to water for long periods of time. The more time these materials are exposed to water, the worse the damage becomes, and in some cases, you’ll be shelling out hundreds or thousands of dollars to repair it.
- Mould Build Up: Mould is dangerous if you have family members with allergies or upper respiratory issues. When water leaks into the house, it can trigger the growth of mould, which can lead to exacerbated symptoms like coughing, sneezing, headaches, itchy eyes, and runny noses.
If you notice moisture or dampness in the house, but can’t pinpoint the cause, call our experts immediately.
Signs You Need Water Leak Repair
Sometimes, water leaks aren’t apparent. Here are the most common signs that you have a water leak you can’t see.
- Cracks in the Foundation: Most older foundations have a few cracks here and there, but if you see excessive cracks and can't identify the cause, it might be a water leak.
- Spike in Water Bills: If you’ve not increased your water usage, but find your water bill going higher and higher, it’s a good chance there’s a leak in the system.
- Water Damage: Water can leak and pool in places causing damage to floors, ceilings, and walls. Watch for warped floors or water stains on the walls.
- Mould and Mildew: When water seeps into the house, it increases mould and mildew, which can exacerbate symptoms for people who have breathing problems.
If you notice any of the above water leak signs, call Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services ASAP.
Problems with the main sewer line require experienced technicians to repair. Contact Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services when you need expert sewer repair.
Common Water Leak Causes
Besides losing money through wasted water, water leaks can cost you money to repair property damage. Get to know these causes of water leaks so you can prevent them and keep your plumbing in tip-top shape.
- Clogged Lines: Some clogs lead to leaking and burst pipes, which causes water damage. Keep your lines clear with regular drain cleaning to avoid this issue.
- Corrosion: As plumbing systems age, the pipes corrode and leak. If you have a plumbing system over 50 years old, consider repiping it soon.
- Damaged Joints: The joints connecting pipes are often the weakest links in the plumbing system. Over time, joints deteriorate, which leads to leaks. If you hear noisy or banging pipes, it's time to call a plumber for help.
- High Water Pressure: Many Mississauga, ON, residents enjoy a brisk shower or powerful water flow from the faucet; however, too much pressure puts stress on pipes, leading eventually to leaks.