Here in Mississauga, many homeowners suffer from hard water every day. Although hard water isn’t dangerous to your health, it’s a nuisance to deal with. However, you don’t have to put up with hard water ever again. With a whole house water softener from Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services, you get better quality water from every tap in the house. Contact us today to find out more.
Call Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services to find out how a garbage disposal installation can make life in the kitchen so much easier.
What Does Hard Water Mean?
Some people scratch their heads when people mention hard water, but what that means is the water has high mineral content. When water flows over deposits of limestone, chalk, or gypsum, it picks up minerals, most notably calcium and magnesium. While these minerals are thought to have health benefits, they can wreak havoc throughout the house.
Problems With Hard Water
As we mentioned before, hard water isn’t dangerous to your health, but many household annoyances come with it, including:
- Funny Taste or Odour: Water with a metallic taste or odour means it probably has too high iron content.
- Stains: If your fixtures like the tub, bathroom sink, or toilet are stained brown or red, it can also mean your water has too much iron in it.
- Soap Scum: Soap doesn’t dissolve entirely in hard water, which means some of it gets left behind after you wash. If you have soap scum buildup, it’s because the water is too hard.
- Broken Appliances: Mineral buildup in appliances like washing machines, coffee makers, and dishwashers reduces their lifespan and can cause malfunctions.
- Stiff Clothes: Because soap doesn’t fully dissolve in hard water, clothes often feel stiff and scratchy after washing.
- Clogged Pipes: Mineral buildup in pipes is a leading cause of blocked drains.
These are just a few of the problems and annoyances you can eliminate when installing a whole home water softener. Contact the pros at Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services for more information.
Do you have stubborn clogs that return again and again? Our drain cleaning service is the answer to restore your pipes to like-new condition!
How Does a Water Softener Work?
Water softeners have a resin tank full of tiny resin beads that hold electrically charged sodium ions. Hard water flows through the system and the beads exchange their sodium ions for the calcium and magnesium ions, which make the water hard; this process is known as ion exchange. Once this process is complete, the ‘soft’ water exits the system ready for use.