Tree roots are one of the biggest headaches because of the damage they do and the difficulty in solving the problem. Call Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services today and ask about our root intrusion sewer repair service if you have persistent clogs in your sewer lines.
Tree root intrusion is one of the most common reasons sewer lines become damaged. It’s no surprise that tree roots naturally gravitate toward tiny cracks or fissures in the sewer line—after all, sewer contents provide a steady supply of water and nutrients to a tree. Unfortunately, if the roots can work their way into your plumbing, you could struggle with everything from slow drains to frequent toilet clogs to sewer system backups.
Don’t let tree roots get you down! Call on Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services for sewer pipe repair in Toronto.
When you’re facing a plumbing emergency, you don’t have to face it alone. Our 24/7 emergency plumbing service is ready to help.
How to Fix Tree Root Intrusion
Invasive tree roots send tiny spider web-like tendrils through joints in the sewer pipe. Then, over the coming weeks and months, the powerful roots open the gap wider and wider. Left to their own devices, the roots will eventually fill the entire circumference of the pipe. Before this happens, take measures to eliminate the invasive roots:
- Mechanical tree root removal: A motorized sewer auger cuts through tree roots with rotating blades, sending the fragments down the sewer line so water can flow freely again.
- Hydro jetting: A powerful jet of water pumped into the drain breaks up tree roots and flushes them out of the system.
- Chemical tree root removal: Foaming root killer coats the inside of the sewer line to kill any remaining roots that the auger or hydro jet may have missed. It also helps to prevent future root growth inside the pipe.
- Sewer line replacement: In some cases, root intrusion is so severe that sewer repair isn’t possible. In this case, you may need to pursue a pipe replacement.
If you experience signs of tree root intrusion—including slow drains, clogged toilets, or a backed-up sewer system—give Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services a call. We provide 24/7 emergency sewer repair whenever you need us. We’re the best Toronto plumbers to call for after-hour services because we don’t charge extra for nights or weekends!
Why Roots Invade Pipes
Tree roots are a major headache for many GTA homeowners, especially those with older clay pipes. When tree roots find their way into the pipe, they create blockages, reduce water pressure, and cause backups. The way tree roots get into pipes is by finding small cracks or holes. Sometimes, roots make their own holes in weak pipes, and force their way in, causing damage to the pipe. Old clay pipes are the most vulnerable to root invasion, and it’s best to replace aging pipes with PVC, which resist tree roots and can last up to and beyond 100 years.
To find out more about replacing your aging clay pipes, call Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services today.
Ways to Prevent Tree Root Intrusion
Once you have your sewer line cleared of invasive tree roots, you want to keep it that way. Here’s how we help our customers prevent tree root intrusion:
- Physical root barriers: After putting in a new sewer line, installing metal or thick wood barriers around the pipe help to keep it inaccessible to nearby tree roots.
- Chemical root barriers: In addition to physical barriers, chemical barriers can also be applied near the sewer lines, including copper sulfate and potassium hydroxide. These chemicals discourage roots from approaching the sewer line.
- Drain camera inspections: To ensure your plumbing remains free of tree roots and other sources of clogs, we recommend scheduling occasional camera inspections. This way, you can uncover small problems and take immediate action before they become severe.
In addition to these preventative measures, we also recommend planting slow-growing trees on your property and positioning them as far away from your main sewer line as possible.
If the toilet won’t flush no matter what remedy you’ve tried, call the experts in the GTA and ask about clogged toilet repair.
Schedule Sewer Line Repair in the Greater Toronto Area
You won’t know for sure if root intrusion is the cause of your plumbing issues until you have a drain camera inspection. However, if you have a large tree in your yard, and you keep having trouble with your sewer line, root intrusion is certainly a possibility. The plumbers at Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services
can diagnose and repair the problem for you, so you can return to having a reliable plumbing system.
To schedule emergency pipe repair or a camera inspection to check for root intrusion, please contact Sewer Squad. We serve Ajax, Scarborough, and other parts of the GTA.
Tree roots wreak havoc on your sewer lines. Let the experts at Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services fix the problem for good by calling 416-571-8499 for service in Toronto, ON.