When a leak occurs under your Toronto home's foundation, it can cause the foundation to crack and weaken. Compromised foundations present a whole host of problems such as flooding and significant property damage. Call Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services as soon as you suspect that you have water leaking under the foundation.
Is your toilet clogged again? Call us for our clogged toilet repair and let us fix it right.
What Is a Slab Leak?
Slab leaks are leaks that occur under the concrete slab that is part of your home's foundation. Slab leaks happen when the pipes bringing water into your home develop tiny leaks. Also, high water pressure can cause pipes to weaken at the joints and bring about leaks. One of the dangers of a slab leak is that they're difficult to detect and often, people only find out they have a leak after significant damage is done.
Dangers of a Slab Leak
As mentioned, slab leaks are serious problems that must be fixed as soon as they're detected. But what makes them so bad? Below are some of the potential issues you might run into if you develop leaks under the foundation.
- Ruined Flooring: If water seeps into the house from below, it eventually seeps upward, which can saturate floors, causing wood floors to warp and tiles to crack.
- Foul Odours: Sometimes, the water leaking into your house makes it smell musty or mouldy. Other times your home might smell like raw sewage if the leak is in the main sewer line.
- Mould: The presence of water in the house encourages mould to grow. Mould inside the home leads to health issues, including allergies, and breathing difficulty.
- Foundation Damage: Slab leaks weaken the integrity of the home's foundation, which can cause it to shift, crack, or collapse.
- Yard Damage: Sometimes, the water leaking from under the house floods the yard causing damage to your landscaping.
Greater Toronto area homeowners must take slab leaks seriously. If you suspect you have a slab leak, call Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services for help.
Some drain clogs are so stubborn; you need professional drain cleaning to solve them. Call Sewer Squad Plumbing & Drain Services for help!
Signs of a Slab Leak
Early diagnosis of a slab leak is essential to minimizing the damage to your home's foundation and getting it fixed quickly. So, what are the warning signs that you may have a slab leak?
- Mould or mildew.
- Warped or soggy floors.
- Sudden, inexplicable increase in your water bills.
- Water pooling where it shouldn't.
- Decreased water pressure.
- Your water heater runs continuously.